Energy Costs

Energy Costs and Keeping Warm

The indications are that the coming winter may well be one of the coldest for some time.  This will mean that in order to keep safe and warm, you will need to be prepared and to make the most of the help and advice on offer.

Gas and electric costs are a worry to us all and can make a big dent in our budgets if we do not manage them effectively.  The contents of this page are intended to offer some guidance about the range of help on offer and where you can go to obtain it.

If you need any additional assistance please call us and we will do our best to help.

Footprint Trust

Isle of Wight-based charity offering a range of projects and guidance on energy saving

Energy Saving for Extremists (Guardian Article)

some interesting tips on how to manage your energy usage

Winter Fuel Payment

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 July 1952. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you qualify but don’t get paid automatically, you’ll need to make a claim.

My Home Energy Switch is a free, impartial energy comparison site that can help tenants save money on bills. Members can also use it to make savings by switching supplier for business premises and through our voids service which can help re-let empty properties more quickly.

We have produce a tenants leaflet to give to tenants telling them more about the service. Check our Q&A sheet for further details – and our voids service Q&A sheet for information on the voids service.