Our approach to delivering new homes
As an Island-focused housing association, we aim through our activities to provide new homes at affordable prices, generate investment in the Island economy and create local employment where we can. In this way, we believe we can deliver the greatest value from our resources.
We source our investment funding from an ethical bank, which shares much of our ethos and the values outlined in our Business Plan.
Because we do not attract subsidy from central government, we are dependent on subsidy either from the Isle of Wight Council in cash or land at reduced cost. The alternative is to to work with existing developers on sites that have s106 requirements attached, which result in a significant reduction on the cost of any affordable housing element.
We are committed to the creation of high quality homes and environments that are cheap to run and easy to live in. Our objective is to produce Community Assets, i.e. homes and neighbourhoods that are recognised as positive contributions to local communities and localities.
We fully support and have signed up to the Rural Alliance Pledge, which promotes Affordable homes for local people. The pledge commits us to:
- Working closely with the local community and Parish Councils to find the right site
- Always giving qualifying local people in housing need first priority for every home
- Ensuring that affordable homes always remain affordable
- Building sensitively designed, high quality homes to high environmental standards
- Providing good quality and locally sensitive management services to our residents
- Always responding positively to the local community.